Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Is There a Pastor in the House?

I'm always interested in, sometimes even amused by, people's response when "The Pastor" walks in. There's a range of responses:

"Hurry and stop sinning; the pastor's here and she'll tell God what we're doing."

These people obviously do not know me well, but if they'd give me a chance I might join in the so-called "sinning" (they could at least buy me a margarita, don't you think?). Besides which, God does not need me to tattle; nor do I stand in the place of God, certainly not to be judgmental about cussing, drinking, smoking, dancing, or playing cards (one of the many things I love about being Lutheran!)

Followed closely by: "Let's be polite, but not too nice; maybe she won't stay long."

A related story: when I was in seminary, one of my high school friends said, "I hope you'll forgive me, but if I ever see you walking around with one of those things around your neck, I'm crossing the street!" Well, I do wear a neckband clergy collar when I want people to know the pastor IS in the house; but hardly ever just for walking down the street! And not in my hometown.

"Guilty! How many reasons can I think of for not having attended worship for so long, and will she buy any of them?"
My role as pastor is really not to be an attendance clerk; you don't get an award for perfect attendance, you don't get penalized for less. I do take attendance, of course, for the purpose of pastoral care: if your worship pattern is different from "the usual", I might check in with you to find out why. Worship attendance is important to me because it's the only way I can be faithful. Left to my own devices, I would not remember to believe in God, but the community and the rhythm of the week, including Sunday worship, keep me accountable to my own spiritual well-being and my connectedness with the Divine. That isn't true for everyone, probably, but for some, yes. (I do appreciate hearing the reasons, by the way; good way to catch up, even in a store aisle.)

"Thank God, she's here!"

Sometimes, there is actually relief that I have arrived at all, even if the people don't know me, even if they weren't sure they wanted me there, even if they won't see me again. Funeral homes, hospitals, nursing homes, and other institutions can be scary places, and if you're there and you've called me, it probably isn't your best day. I have wondered why pastors become so important in those moments, what I can really do, what it means for people who are otherwise disconnected from me or any other spiritual community. But there is something about the official-ness of the pastor--we call it "the office of pastor"--that reminds people that God indeed is present. I didn't bring God with me in a way God was not before; but awareness is heightened, attitudes shifted, hope increased when I, a visual reminder of something spiritual, walk in. I do believe all of us who are faithful, who know, at least part of the time, that we belong to God, have this awesome privilege and responsibility. We carry Christ with us, living our lives in ways that Christ is made known, made visible, to people who so long to encounter him.

So don't be surprised to see me. I go a lot of places in the course of a day. You might want to practice your response, or think about why you respond the way you do, as I expect it has more to do with you than with me. I'll be around, and I look forward to seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment